October 8, 2009
Nau offers up recycled weather-protection in some great cuts. Created from post-consumer and post-industrial polyester waste, these jackets employ cradle-to-cradle ECOCIRCLE® technology, so that at the end of a long life it can be sent back to Nau and recycled once again into polyester fibers for reuse. Unfortunately, some Nau products contain cruel and exploitative down and merino wool, so stick to these cruelty-free choices:
August 24, 2009
This meal was easy to prepare and combines a refreshing, crisp salad of cukes, carrots, cilantro and onion with a savory, warm roll stuffed with sauteed onions, kale, rice-burger and roasted cashews. Best of all, it’s gluten-free and soy-free!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED (serves 4):
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbs spicy mustard
- 4 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs agave (or preferred sweetener)
- 4 sheets of rice paper
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale (aka Dinosaur Kale)
- 1 large spanish onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 rice burger patties
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbs vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 1tbs Italian dressing
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Cut the cucumber in half, longways – and then slice into half-coins about 1/2-in. thick.
- Dice the cilantro, red onion and garlic.
- Slice the carrots into think coins.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and add the vinegar, agave, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Mix well and set aside to marinade while you prepare the rolls.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil.
- Bring a skillet to medium heat, and add the veg oil.
- Cut very ends of the kale off (just 1 inch) and then cut the bunch in half. Place it in the hot water.
- Boil the kale only for 1 minute, because we still want it to be slightly crisp. remove the kale from the water but SAVE THE WARM WATER and set both aside.
- Chop the Spanish onion into rounds about 1/4-in. thick and add place in the skillet.
- Dice the garlic, and burger patties and place in the skillet. Add the cashews, but set a few aside for garnish.
- Pour over the Italian dressing, and let everything cook over medium heat until golden brown.
- While step 7 is sauteing, dip your rice paper in he warm water. It will quickly become soft and elastic.
- On a cutting board or working surface, lay out the rice papers and evenly divide the kale and the sauteed combo onto them.
- Roll them up, plate and sprinkle nutritional yeast and the remaining cashews on top. Scoop some Cucumber salad for each plate and serve side-by-side.