Strawberry Shortcake can make you feel like you’re home no matter where you are. The dense, moist cake, the light, sweet fluff and the crisp, tart strawberries all compliment each other so nicely. For my roommate’s birthday we made these mini strawberry shortcakes to remind her of home.
SIMPLE STRAWBERRY SHORTIE
What you’ll need:
- 1 large bundt pan or mini bundt pan (you can also use more boring shapes like a loaf)
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, room temp (spectrum is great)
- 3 cups unbleached, organic white flour
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup almond or rice milk
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 cup prepared egg-replacer
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- large container of organic strawberries
- Can of soy-whip or box of MimicCreme or Soy Whip in-a-box
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder.
- With a mixer (or by fork), combine shortening with flour mixture.
- Add egg-replacer, almond milk, vanilla, and slowly pour in agave.
- Combine evenly, and pour into greased pan.
- Cook on 350 for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes, remove from pan.
- Add whipped topping (prepared, if necessary)and cleaned & diced strawberries.