This meal was easy to prepare and combines a refreshing, crisp salad of cukes, carrots, cilantro and onion with a savory, warm roll stuffed with sauteed onions, kale, rice-burger and roasted cashews. Best of all, it’s gluten-free and soy-free!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED (serves 4):
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbs spicy mustard
- 4 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs agave (or preferred sweetener)
- 4 sheets of rice paper
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale (aka Dinosaur Kale)
- 1 large spanish onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 rice burger patties
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbs vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 1tbs Italian dressing
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Cut the cucumber in half, longways - and then slice into half-coins about 1/2-in. thick.
- Dice the cilantro, red onion and garlic.
- Slice the carrots into think coins.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and add the vinegar, agave, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Mix well and set aside to marinade while you prepare the rolls.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil.
- Bring a skillet to medium heat, and add the veg oil.
- Cut very ends of the kale off (just 1 inch) and then cut the bunch in half. Place it in the hot water.
- Boil the kale only for 1 minute, because we still want it to be slightly crisp. remove the kale from the water but SAVE THE WARM WATER and set both aside.
- Chop the Spanish onion into rounds about 1/4-in. thick and add place in the skillet.
- Dice the garlic, and burger patties and place in the skillet. Add the cashews, but set a few aside for garnish.
- Pour over the Italian dressing, and let everything cook over medium heat until golden brown.
- While step 7 is sauteing, dip your rice paper in he warm water. It will quickly become soft and elastic.
- On a cutting board or working surface, lay out the rice papers and evenly divide the kale and the sauteed combo onto them.
- Roll them up, plate and sprinkle nutritional yeast and the remaining cashews on top. Scoop some Cucumber salad for each plate and serve side-by-side.