1. Watch Ellen today. Yesterday she confronted John MCcain(who couldn’t even make eye-contact with her)and rumor has it she may reveal something quite excting (watch out Oprah…)! Special guest and friend of DB, Rory Freedman (Skinny Bitch, Skinny Bitch in the Kitch) will be her guest.
2. For those that missed it, Oprah is vegan (for at least 3 weeks). All I have to say is wow…
3. Sign this petition to help call for a South Atlantic Whale Sanctuary, and help end whaling!
4. DB reader, MOR is a former employee of Whole Foods. He calls attention to Wholefoods’ not-so-socially-progressive policies. Read Wholefoods Breaks Their Promise.
5. Fujimori is being tried for Human Rights Violations in Peru. He is the first head of state to be extradited to his home country to stand trial for human rights violations. Praxis Institute for Social Justice invites you to visit their bilingual liveblog and follow current developments in the ongoing human rights trial of former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori.
“Former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori served from 1990-2000 and is suspected of committing innumerable human rights violations during his decade in office. These allegations have been documented by the Peruvian Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) in its Final Report, published in 2003, and the trial against the former president marks the fulfillment of one of the TRC’s most important recommendations for preventing future human rights violations by the state.”
For more info:
6. Non-leather belts can be more than a hemp braid – thank god.
7. On Tuesday, the USDA made it official, implementing a no-downer policy for cattle in the United States. Read the article HERE. ‘Downers’ are animals too sick or injured to walk or stand, and are typically left to suffer – as veterinary care and euthanasia cost more than most farmers will make on the body of the animal – making it economically undesirable, and ethically disgusting.
7. Cruelty-free, vegan colognes (thanks Peta2):
Abercrombie & Fitch and Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch
Mesmerize Cologne Spray by Avon
California North for Men and O2XYGEN for Men by California North
Number Six by Caswell-Massey
Eau Dynamisante and Eau Tranquility by Clarins
Chemistry by Clinique
360° for Men and Perry Ellis m by Perry Ellis
Tommy for Men by Tommy Hilfiger
Aramis and Lauder Intuition for Men Cologne Spray by Estée Lauder
OP Juice by OP
REGENCY™Cologne by Merle Norman
Joshua’s Vegan Baked Mac & Jeeeeze Casserole
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Block Silken Tofu
- 1 Block “Follow your Heart” Cheddar style vegan cheese (or Teese!)
- 2 Tbs “Earth Balance” or other vegan margerine
- 3 Tbs Nutritional yeast (more to taste if desired)
- 1 Tbs sugar or other sweetner
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1/4 cup vegan milk (soy, almond, rice, etc make sure it’s plain and not “vanilla” falvored)
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs (make your own by putting crisp toast in a blender)
- 1 – 2 cups of elbow pasta
Boil pasta. Combine all ingredients aside from bread crumbs and pasta in a blender or food processor. Mix the “cheese sauce” with the boiled pasta. place in casserole dish, and top with breadcrumbs. Bake on 350 for 15 – 20 minutes.
Tip - for a cheesier dish, shred additional vegan cheese over the bread crumbs before baking.